What to Expect
During a Mammogram
On the day of your mammogram you should:
- Wear a comfortable two-piece outfit.
- Do not use deodorant or any products which may contain talcum powder or lotion.
During your mammogram:
- You will be asked to undress from the waist up and put on a gown.
- Once the radiologist is ready to see you, you will go to the mammography room and disrobe.
- Your breast is then placed on a special platform and slowly compressed until it is flattened.
- You may feel discomfort or pressure for several seconds, until your breast is released.
- The procedure is repeated until each breast is imaged twice from two different angles.
- The entire process of getting a mammogram generally takes about 30 minutes.
- A radiologist reviews the images and sends the results to your doctor's office.
- You should get your results within a week from your mammogram appointment.
- If an abnormality is found, more imaging or additional tests such as a biopsy may be needed.
To learn more about mammograms, watch the video below:
Video from: About.com