Radiation is the use of high-energy rays which kill cancer cells. There are several different types of radiation:
- Most common type of radiation.
- Radiation comes from a machine outside of the body, and focuses on the area which has cancer.
- Actual procedure time only takes a few minutes, set-up time usually takes longer.
- Possible side effects
- Swelling or heaviness of breasts.
- Skin changes such as redness, blistering, and peeling of treated area.
- Radioactive seeds are placed into a device which is then placed in the breast tissue where the cancer was detected.
- Can be used with external beam radiation.
To learn more about brachytherapy, watch the video below: